The aims of diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) program are:-
- To prepare nurse with a sound educational program in nursing to enable them to function as efficient members of the health team, beginning with the competencies for the first level position in all kinds of healthcare settings.
- To help nurse to develop an ability to co-operative and co-ordinate with members of the health team in the prevention of disease, promotion of the health and rehabilitation of the sick.
- To help nurse in their personal and professional development, so that they are able to make maximum contribution to the society as useful and productive individual, citizen as well as efficient nurses.
- To prepare nurse to keep pace with latest professional and technological developments and use these for providing nursing care service.
Objectives of Nursing
The nurse on completion of this course will be added to:
- Demonstrate competency in providing health care to individual, sick or well, using nursing process.
- Assess the nursing need of client from birth to death.
- Provide effective nursing care for maintaining best possible level of health in all aspects.
- Promote self care in people under their care.
- Apply problem solving techniques in nursing practice.
- Apply knowledge from the humanities, biological and behavioral science in functioning as a nurse. Participate as member of the health team in delivery of curative preventive, promotive and rehabilitative health care service.
- Mobilize community resources and their involvement in working with the communities.
- Demonstrate use of ethical values in their personal and professional organization.
- Demonstrate interest in activities of professional organization.
- Recognize the need for continuing education for professional development. Demonstrate basic skills in teaching patient and giving nursing care to them.
- Demonstrate basic skills in administration and leadership while working with other members of health team and community and assist in research activities.